Author Topic: Higland 950 Review on Advrider  (Read 6439 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Higland 950 Review on Advrider
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
So to the Highland – looks good to me, excellent materials, fit and finish, best quality parts in suspension and wheels. Weight 165 kilos dry seems a bit lardy for an off roader but for a 950 that’s a real lightweight. So to the ride on wet roads, sealed but rough with bad potholing and washouts and smooth motorway. What a bike, all the power I want with loads of effortless grunt where you need it and as much top speed, easy peasy 100+ but could do with a small screen to reduce the wind blast. Sweet handling although the suspension had been set a little firm for road use (apparently they have been using it at Cadwell Park circuit to frighten the sports bikes in it’s supa moto guise). The motor was really smooth over 2500 but off idle would not fuel smoothly where you really need it for technical trails, tight rocky turns and that sort of stuff. For riders who like to ‘really get on’ this would be no problem but for me there are places I just want to plod. Unusually for this type of bike the seating was really comfortable and could be used for all types of riding (not head down, ass up) suited me well 6’ 1”, 200lbs, 33inch inseam, just a little high but when you are moving no problem.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3889633&postcount=14

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Higland 950 Review on Advrider
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
Sounds like a wheelie machine...

Choosing to take the non motorway route through Rochdale and Halifax to give the best conditions for running in first impressions on this dry sunny day were how the front end came up with even gentle throttle away from traffic halts especially after nosing to the front of a queue at traffic lights, cure sit further forwards with arms bent (remember to move bars and controls when I get home). Poor fuelling off idle seems to be getting better or am I getting used to it.

dougedoug

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45:13 AM »
Yea,get on it untill you feel the cold sweat of naked fear in your helmet. Wear a full face helmet so no one can hear you scream,now that's good clean fun ;D

John in Leeds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
Yea,get on it untill you feel the cold sweat of naked fear in your helmet. Wear a full face helmet so no one can hear you scream,now that's good clean fun ;D

Yeh, I really wish I could do this bike justice.   The previous section was pre run in.   On a mission it needs you to move forward, in the rough its so easy to loft the front over obstacles  ;D
Highland for the Body but Guzzi for the Soul

soundccduke

• Gramma was an Okee too
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »
I read as much as I could bear over at ADV. It seems it was a couple chaps trying to figure out how to get the 950 to run right and fixing and upgrading pieces that were found fault with. Old shed shop shots between a grease monkey and someone who looked like they could have been at the original Live at Leeds concert. As there is little history on this side of the pond in regards to US Highland I thought I would sign up here and see what develops. It is a little disconserting to find a website forum that is dedicated to the new adventure and trials and tribulations of a motorcycle company about to open its doors in the land of milfs and honey's so deserted. I thought the warm up band would already be playing. A friend turned me on to the US Highland news. He thinks that dirt tracker is the cats meow. I do not blame him, he and I have spent many of his birthday celebrations at the San Jose Mile watching a little tiny kid named Cris Carr try to figure out how to ride his way around the likes of Bubba Schobert and Kenny Roberts. Looks like those days are on there way back. I want with all my heart to see this adventure play out for the good. I have spent my hard earned extras on two wheels and have had the guilt complex from sending those dollars acrross two great oceans. I wanted Buell to be a hero, but they just did not get me and as I speak for many other old fat farts that would love to feel good again about that American dream. I will watch and test and inform myself with what develops with a great hope for machines made in Mounds and not heaps. I own and ride two twins now so the twin heart beat runs deep in my soul. Lets get those reviews where they are needed, from sea to shining sea.

John in Leeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:51:55 AM »
........Old shed shop shots between a grease monkey and someone who looked like they could have been at the original Live at Leeds concert......

As there is little history on this side of the pond in regards to US Highland .........................

.......................................from sea to shining sea.

;D ;D ;D  can't help my age but I have owned and ridden motorcycles since 12 years old without interuptions.  That might tell you my experience might count for something.   :D

History of Highland in the US - well there is plenty if you care to look, sadly it is not very encouraging with a catalogue of broken deals and pissed off people.  Lets hope the new start as US Highland will make up for it.

Playing the patriot card - to me always smacks of smoke and mirrors.  Objectivity is usually the first casualty of patriotism so for my part if it's a good motorcycle I'll buy it.  However painting a flag on the tank will never turn a bad bike into a good one  :-\

Highland for the Body but Guzzi for the Soul